We’ve seen profound changes in people who have gone through our Panchakarma Home Therapy (running this April 13-23 and again in September). After years of running this program and seeing the effects firsthand, we can count many positive benefits that come from panchakarma. We’ve whittled them down to six of our favorites.
- Being around illness doesn’t mean you will get sick. There is a reason some people get sick while others can stay well even when they are exposed to illness – it all comes down to our ability to digest food and life and maintain strong ojas. That ability comes from agni. When agni is balanced, it supports ojas so you can fend off pathogens, whether they come from doorknobs, children or sniffling coworkers.
- Elimination is no longer a strain. Eliminating less than twice a day or straining during elimination is a sign that vata dosha may be out of balance. Dealing with diarrhea? It’s a likely sign of imbalanced pitta or indigestion. Is your elimination sticky and slow? Excess kapha is at the root. Panchakarma clears blockages on all levels – including the mental ones – to allow for this natural function to happen with ease.
- Your skin is naturally clear and lustrous. Acne, eczema or unexplained rashes are your body’s way of releasing excess toxins through its largest organ. Toxins are produced when agni is imbalanced and unable to support proper digestion. This can be caused by several factors, including dosha imbalance and the all-too-common practices of eating low-quality foods, poor combinations of foods or overeating in one sitting. People are amazed at how quickly skin issues they’ve had for years disappear after panchakarma. This is because the process of panchakarma addresses the underlying issues to allow your skin to be in a state of natural health.
- Physical, mental and emotional health are balanced. Panchakarma heals your physical body, as well as your mental and emotional state. All of this allows for greater spiritual connection. After panchakarma, many find themselves with less anxiety and fear (a sign that vata has come back to balance), no more need to criticize themselves or others (a sign that pitta has been properly reduced) and a lighter, more loving attitude (traits of balanced kapha).
- You can heal from your "healthy” choices. Modern diet trends wreak havoc on agni and have consequences for your mind, body and spirit. Raw foods are difficult to digest and can weaken agni. High-protein meals require your agni and organs to work overtime (it’s like leaving your car engine running all the time). Cold smoothies made with poor food combinations slow agni and distort the digestive environment. Kitchadi, the healing, delicious food you eat during panchakarma, gives your body all the nutrients it needs without making it work too hard. After 10 days of nourishment from kitchadi during panchakarma, your agni is reset and ready for you to adopt a balanced Ayurvedic diet.
- Food allergies become part of the past. Food allergies and intolerances have their root in imbalanced agni. When agni is weak or slow, food sits in the digestive tract too long. Your body may begin to negatively respond to certain foods, such as wheat or dairy, but these foods are not the problem – imbalanced digestion is the issue. Many people have found that allergies and intolerances they thought would be around for life simply fell away after healing their agni with panchakarma and changing their eating habits afterward.